In the dynamic hospitality industry, the combination of teamwork and artistry is proving to be a significant driver of success. Beyond aesthetics, integrating collaborative workspaces and art into the interior design of hotels, resorts, restaurants, lounges, spas, and other types of gathering spaces is changing the way these businesses operate.
Strategic Interior Design for Effective Collaboration
Effective interior design extends beyond visual appeal; it’s about functionality. Picture an inviting space with purposeful furniture and technology designed to facilitate idea-sharing among team members and even guests.
One central part of this design is often custom artwork from professional artists or environmental graphic design firms. Art has the potential to transform spaces on its own and enhance overall well-being. Within the hospitality industry, art in workplace goes beyond mere decoration. Drawings, paintings, and murals serve as catalysts for conversations, sparking creativity and contributing to a positive atmosphere. Artistic elements also shape the unique identity of your brand.
In addition, here are some concepts that forward-thinking interior designers often incorporate to help employees enjoy showing up to work each day and better serve the people around them.
- Natural design: Including natural elements such as plants, green walls, and natural light to create a more organic and calming environment. Some extend the design beyond the interior to create inviting outdoor spaces, such as courtyards, terraces, or rooftop gardens.
- Sustainability: Implementing eco-friendly practices, materials, and energy-efficient solutions to create environmentally conscious and responsible spaces.
- Open and flexible spaces: Designing spaces that are adaptable to different uses and can be easily reconfigured to accommodate various events or activities.
- Local cultural integration: Bringing elements of the local culture, history, and traditions into the design for authenticity.
- Mix of modern and vintage: Blending contemporary design elements with vintage or retro touches to create a timeless and eclectic atmosphere.
- Technology integration: Utilizing cutting-edge technology for interactive displays, smart room controls, and other innovative features to enhance team and guest experiences.
- Interactive and experiential design: Designing spaces that encourage interaction and provide memorable experiences, whether through unique installations or immersive environments.
- Comfortable and homely feel: Creating an inviting and comfortable atmosphere that feels like a “home away from home” with cozy furnishings and warm lighting.
- Innovative lighting design: Using creative and strategically placed lighting to enhance the ambiance and mood of different spaces within the venue.
- Personalized spaces: Offering personalized and customizable spaces that cater to the preferences of team members and guests.
- Signature elements: Incorporating signature design elements that become synonymous with the venue, making it easily recognizable and memorable.
Brand Building Through Team Building
Business artwork and design doesn’t have to be limited to what professional artists and designers produce! Your own team members from any department can also contribute to a holistic brand experience, so get them involved with some of these ideas.
- Artistic brand brainstorming sessions: Forming a robust brand identity is pivotal for hospitality businesses. That’s why Laurelow offers a digital consultation in each of our brand development, workspace art, and website design packages to encourage diverse perspectives. Incorporating art into these sessions through interactive mood boards inspires new ideas and innovative solutions.
- Drawing or painting as storytelling media: Discuss how art can be used to tell the story of a brand or a specific location. This could include a group vote of commissioning pieces that reflect the local culture or historical significance.
- Art-infused icebreaker activities: Facilitate art-based activities during team meetings or workshops. For example, ask each team member to draw a symbol representing their mood or goals for the day.
- Lunchtime drawing sessions: Dedicate a wall or whiteboard for doodling. Encourage employees to contribute during lunch breaks or whenever they need a creative break.
- Employee spotlight art exhibitions: Showcase the talents of your employees by organizing art exhibitions and themed contests featuring their creations. This not only fosters a sense of pride but also strengthens the sense of community within the organization.
- Photo scavenger hunt: Provide employees with cameras or encourage them to use their smartphones. Create a list of photo challenges related to the workplace, team dynamics, or company culture. Compile the photos into a digital collage.
- Culinary arts collaboration: Discuss partnerships with local artists or culinary experts to create unique dining experiences. This could include chef collaborations, food and art pairings, or even on-site cooking demonstrations.
- Sensory design for guest engagement: Explore how sensory elements, such as scent and sound, can be integrated into the hospitality environment to create more immersive and memorable experiences.
- Art-based wellness programs: Talk about wellness programs within hospitality spaces, incorporating elements like meditation areas, yoga studios, or fitness spaces adorned with art that promotes relaxation and well-being.
- Virtual art tours: Explore the possibility of offering virtual art tours for guests, allowing them to explore the artistic elements of the hospitality space from the comfort of their devices.
- Artistic merchandise and souvenirs: Consider providing artistic merchandise or souvenirs for purchase, extending the artistic experience beyond the physical space and creating a lasting connection with the brand.
- Art-inspired marketing campaigns: Get inspired by examples of successful artistic marketing campaigns to promote hospitality businesses. This could include visually appealing illustrated social media campaigns or art-centered promotions.
Crafting a Collaborative Canvas
Collaboration in the hospitality industry is an art form in itself. By seamlessly incorporating interior hospitality art and design, collaborative work areas, and creative team-building activities, person-centered businesses are not only enhancing aesthetics. They foster innovation, strengthen social dynamics, and set the stage for success. Get ahead of the workplace strategy trends and get on a call with us to learn more!